Saturday, October 8, 2011

My return to the gym, not so triumphant


I was excited walking into my gym because the last time I had had such a positive experience.  I loved the tiny, loud and demanding Asian instructor and was completely into the way she trained us.

However, the first surprise was that my favored instructor was nowhere to be seen and instead was replaced by a girl who....wasn't all that friendly and didn't seem interested in making us beginners feel comfortable.

I may be whining as I sometimes have a tendency to do, but I think a really important part of being a fitness instructor is making EVERYONE feel welcome.  Like, really.  Because otherwise we are in the middle of class feeling like shit and feeling stupid because everyone else knows the "routine" and you're standing there like an idiot.

That was me.

The instructor, much like some of the other instructors at this club had their followers who knew what was up and I, having returned after a too-long break, had NO IDEA what was happening!

Cross that with my lack of coordination, my shortness of smoker's breath and the sweat streaming into my eye, well, it wasn't the most fun class.

However, towards the end, my brain sortof kicked in and my body began to follow directions.  I left feeling like I got a good workout and I will return to this class, but man, oh man, did I feel inadequate at first!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment