Wednesday, November 2, 2011

FEMPIRE!!!


I am absolutely in LOVE with the term, FEMPIRE and I can't stop writing it in FULL CAPS!  I just discovered this word this morning and have been utterly enchanted since. 

I stumbled across this because I clicked on a Zooey Deschanel article on yahoo! before signing into my email and remembered that I had wanted to look up Elizabeth Merriwether because I had just watched a couple episodes of New Girl and thought it was really different from the usual crap that was on network TV---and that's when it happened.  I read about Elizabeth and how she went to Yale and wrote a bunch of plays and then the article went to say she was part of a FEMPIRE with three other writers: Dana Fox, Diablo Cody and Lorene Scafaria and they basically had a girl club where they hung out, wrote, and supported one another in a land where only 12% of the scriptwriters are females.

Now, this is not a fem rant by any means, it is more that I am in a state of wonderment and this idea of women together, writing, and supporting one another is exactly why I recently reached out to my old writing buddies from my MFA program.

Writing is a solitary venture.  It is a lonely road and is intimidating as all hell.  It is a path that I romanticise often, believe is my only way to true happiness, but one I eschew often because of...well many reasons, but mostly out of fear.

Just the word FEMPIRE represents in my mind STRENGTH, POWER, BELIEF. Women together can make it!  FEMPIRE! Women working with one another rather than against can and will get further than if they work against each other.  I was so fortunate to have an AMAZING writing cohort at Lesley University in my Writing for Young People and am so happy to have touched base with them that--and--in my fear and anticipation of moving out to Los Angeles next year, it's comforting to know that I have my own little Fempire and while we go in and out of each other's lives--it has, endured for years.

So, here's to the WFYP ladies!  My writing buds (especially this month for NaNoWriMo) here's to our very own FEMPIRE!



No comments:

Post a Comment